Friday, August 12, 2011

'Nother Critter, Pt.2

I have read about Tamiya body putty for a while now, about how hard it cures and doesn't shrink, and I've wanted to pick up a tube to try it out. But it seems the only place to get it was from a site in Hong Kong, and I was unwilling to give my info out of country. Last week however, I was checking eBay again, and found a seller in Indiana. Needless to say, I ordered a tube immediately. It came a few days ago, and I deserves its reputation. It dries rock hard and doesn't shrink at all. (My first application I put on too thick, and it took me forever to sand it down. I use it more sparingly now.) You can see how well it fills those small file marks at the front of the hood.



I trimmed the rear of the hood to more precisely fit the cab, and made a styrene patch to fill where the hood doesn't cover.



I used my dividers to mark a slot on this piece of 1/8th" styrene, then cut it out with a razor saw and knife. It sits perfectly in the opening.



I rounded over the edges and added a foot made of .015 strip.



I sanded off the molded in details on the cab and puttied the joints. Uh-oh, looks like I've got more puttying to do.



Actually I did a lot more puttying, but that will have to wait til next time.  Don

No comments:

Post a Comment