I removed the cab and hoods from the deck.
Next I separated both hoods from the cab with a razor saw.
The air intakes on the short hood came off next. (They came damaged anyway, and yes I knew that before I bid on it.)
Now came time to remove all the molded-on details on the top. The grab irons on the front also disappeared. I sweetened the cut lines as much as possible with saws and sandpaper to get the tightest fit possible.
This is an after-market, thin-wall GE cab. It is really for larger, road units, but I think it works well here.
I plugged the holes, then reinforcing from the inside, glued the two hood sections together. You can also see where I took a tiny chisel knife and scooped a groove after the next-to-last access door. This allows the cab to easily slide over the hood.
Next up: I get to finally try some Tamiya putty to hide those seams. I'll see you then. Don